Dr. Chengkai Li is Associate Professor
and Director of the Innovative Database and Information Systems Research
Laboratory (IDIR) in the Department of Computer
Science and Engineering at the University of Texas at Arlington.
Dr. Li's research interests are in several areas related to big data
and data science,
including database, data mining, Web data management, and information
retrieval. His current research focuses on building large-scale human-assisting and human-assisted
data and information systems with high usability, low cost and applications for
social good. His current research projects are on computational journalism, crowdsourcing
and human computation, data exploration by ranking (top-k), skyline and
preference queries, database testing, entity query, and usability challenges
in querying graph data.
To Aspiring Students
- I am always looking for sharp, highly motivated and hard-working PhD / Master's / Bachelor's students.
- NSF REU award available to undergraduate students doing research. Interested students can email me for further details.
- Spring 16 Office Hours: Tu/Th 3:30-4:30
- Spring 16 Tu/Th 2-3:20 CSE4334/5334 Data Mining
- Fall 16 Tu/Th 2-3:20 CSE4334 Data Mining;
Fr 4-6:50 CSE5334 Data Mining
Naeemul Hassan (interned at AT&T and Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI))
Gensheng Zhang (interned at NEC Labs and Google)
- M.S. thesis:
Tulsi Chandwani, Maithili Deshpande, Siddhant Gawsane, Nigesh Shakya, Abu Ayub Ansari Syed, Ishwor Timilsina
Josue Caraballo, Damian Jimenez
- Graduated Ph.D. students:
(Ph.D. dissertation: Toward Better Usability of Query Systems for Massive Ultra-Heterogeneous Graphs: Novel Approaches of Query Formulation and Query Specification, May 2016;
co-advised with Ramez Elmasri;
interned at IBM Research India and HP Labs;
first-employment after graduation: Member of Technical Staff, Pivotal, Palo Alto, CA)
(Ph.D. dissertation: Novel Methods for Entity-centric Information Exploration, December 2013;
first-employment after graduation: Research Scientist, Huawei R&D Center, Santa Clara, CA)
(Ph.D. dissertation: A Holistic, Similarity-based Approach for Personalized Ranking in Web Databases, August 2011;
co-advised with Sharma Chakravarthy;
first-employment after graduation: Researcher, IBM Research India)
- CrowdConsensus: Crowdsourcing and Human Computation
- Crowdsourcing Pareto-Optimal Object Finding by Pairwise Comparisons
- DEMANDATA: Database and Data Mining Support for Computational Journalism
- Graph4U: Tackling Usability Challenges in Querying and Exploring Entity Graphs
- TableView (Preview Tables for Entity Graphs)
- CrewScout: Expert Team Finding by Skyline Groups
- EntityEngine: Entity-Centric Querying and Exploration of Web Data
- Generating Preview Tables for Entity Graphs. SIGMOD16.
- Querying Knowledge Graphs by Example Entity Tuples (Extended Abstract). ICDE16 (poster).
- Detecting Check-worthy Factual Claims in Presidential Debates. CIKM15 (short paper).
- Crowdsourcing Pareto-Optimal Object Finding by Pairwise Comparisons. CIKM15.
- The Quest to Automate Fact-Checking. C+J Symposium15.
- Querying Knowledge Graphs by Example Entity Tuples. IEEE TKDE, October 2015.
- VIIQ: Auto-suggestion Enabled Visual Interface for Interactive Graph Query Formulation. VLDB15 demo.
- Online Frequent Episode Mining. ICDE15.
- Finding, Monitoring, and Checking Claims Computationally Based on Structured Data. C+J Symposium14.
- Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Finding Expert Teams by CrewScout. CIKM14 demo.
- Data In, Fact Out: Automated Monitoring of Facts by FactWatcher. VLDB14 demo.
- Towards a Query-by-Example System for Knowledge Graphs. GRADES14.
- iCheck: Computationally Combating "Lies, D---ned Lies, and Statistics". SIGMOD14 demo.
- Toward Computational Fact-Checking. VLDB14.
- Discovering and Learning Sensational Episodes of News Events. WWW14 poster.
- GQBE: Querying Knowledge Graphs by Example Entity Tuples. ICDE14 demo.
- Incremental Discovery of Prominent Situational Facts. ICDE14.
- Discovering General Prominent Streaks in Sequence Data. ACM TKDD, June 2014.
- On Skyline Groups. IEEE TKDE, April 2014.
- Set Predicates in SQL: Enabling Set-Level Comparisons for Dynamically Formed Groups. IEEE TKDE, February 2014.
- Conference Organizing Committee:
SIGMOD 17 Finance Chair,
WAIM 16 Publicity Co-Chair,
IPCCC (General Co-Chair 12, Program Co-Chair 10)
- Editorial Board:
International Journal of Big Data Security Intelligence
- Program Committee:
SIGMOD 16 15,
VLDB 17 15 14 13,
KDD 16 15,
WWW 16 15 14 13 11,
ICDE 14 13 11,
CIKM 16 15 14 13 12 10,
ICDM 16 13 12 11 10 08,
ISWC 16 15 14
- Journal Reviewer:
- NSF Grant Review Panels (2016, 2015, 2014, 2010)
- "Tackling Usability Challenges in Querying Massive, Ultra-heterogeneous Graphs", North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, February 9th, 2016.
- "ClaimBuster: The Quest to Automate Fact-Checking", Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, February 8th, 2016.
- "ClaimBuster: The Quest to Automate Fact-Checking", Arlington Technology Association, Arlington, TX, December 2nd, 2015.
- "Enabling Computational Journalism: Automated Fact-Checking and Story-Finding"
- Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, October 13th, 2015.
- Shandong University, Jinan, China, October 9th, 2015.
- "Data Science for Computational Journalism"
- IEEE Computer Society and Computational Intelligence Society Joint Meeting, Arlington, TX, June 10th, 2015.
- The Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX, April 29th, 2015.
- PyData Dallas 2015, Plano, TX, April 26th, 2015.
- "Crowdsourcing Pareto-Optimal Object Finding by Pairwise Comparisons", Facebook, Menlo Park, CA, July 17th, 2014.
- Panelist, The First International Workshop on Bringing the Value of "Big Data" to Users (Data4U 2014), held in conjunction with VLDB14, Hangzhou, China, September 1st, 2014.
- "Data Analytics for Computational Journalism", invited talk, The 2nd International Workshop on Analytics for Cyber-Physical Systems (ACS-2013), held in conjunction with SDM13, Austin, TX, May 4th, 2013.
- UT-Arlington Faculty Development Leave ("sabbatical"), Fall 2015
- VLDB 2014 Excellent Demonstration Award
- 2012 HP Labs Innovation Research Award
- 2011 HP Labs Innovation Research Award
- 3rd place in best Outrageous Ideas and Vision (OIV) Track paper competition in the 5th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR 2011)
- 2005 Excellent TA Award, Department of Computer Science, UIUC
Last Modified: 2016-04-11 Created: 2001-09-18 00:16:21