Dr. Chengkai Li is Associate Professor and Director of the Innovative Database and Information Systems Research Laboratory (IDIR) in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Texas at Arlington. Dr. Li's research interests are in several areas related to big data and data science, including database, data mining, Web data management, and natural language processing. His current research focuses on building large-scale human-assisting and human-assisted data and information systems with high usability, low cost and applications for social good. His current research projects are on computational journalism, crowdsourcing and human computation, data exploration by ranking (top-k), skyline and preference queries, database testing, entity query, and usability challenges in querying graph data.
To Aspiring Students
- I am always looking for sharp, highly motivated and hard-working PhD / Master's / Bachelor's students.
- NSF REU award available to undergraduate students doing research. Interested students can email me for further details.
Demos and Source Codes
- Ph.D. students:
Damian Jimenez (First Runner-Up Award in the SIGMOD17 Student Research Competition, undergraduate category)
Gensheng Zhang (interned at NEC Labs and Google)
- M.S. thesis students:
Tulsi Chandwani, Ankit Shingavi, Abu Ayub Ansari Syed
- B.S. students:
- Graduated Ph.D. students:
(Ph.D. dissertation: Toward Automated Fact Monitoring And Checking, August 2016;
interned at AT&T and Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI);
first-employment after graduation: Assistant Professor, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS)
(Ph.D. dissertation: Toward Better Usability of Query Systems for Massive Ultra-Heterogeneous Graphs: Novel Approaches of Query Formulation and Query Specification, May 2016;
co-advised with Ramez Elmasri;
interned at IBM Research India and HP Labs;
first-employment after graduation: Member of Technical Staff, Pivotal, Palo Alto, CA)
(Ph.D. dissertation: Novel Methods for Entity-centric Information Exploration, December 2013;
first-employment after graduation: Research Scientist, Huawei R&D Center, Santa Clara, CA)
(Ph.D. dissertation: A Holistic, Similarity-based Approach for Personalized Ranking in Web Databases, August 2011;
co-advised with Sharma Chakravarthy;
first-employment after graduation: Researcher, IBM Research India)
- Conference Organizing Committee:
SIGMOD 17 Finance Chair,
WAIM 16 Publicity Co-Chair,
IPCCC (General Co-Chair 12, Program Co-Chair 10)
- Editorial Board:
Distributed and Parallel Databases,
International Journal of Big Data Security Intelligence,
International Journal of Internet of Things and Big Data
- Program Committee:
SIGMOD 18 16 15,
VLDB 17 15 14 13,
KDD 17 16 15,
WWW 16 15 14 13 11,
ICDE 18 (demo) 17 14 13 11 (demo),
CIKM 17 16 15 14 13 12 10,
ICDM 16 13 12 11 10 08,
ISWC 17 16 15 14
- Journal Reviewer:
ACM SIGMOD Record,
- NSF Grant Review Panels (2016, 2015, 2014, 2010)
- "ClaimBuster: Toward the Holy Grail of Automated Fact-checking", Google, New York, NY, May 3rd, 2017.
- Panelist, "How Bots Are Automating Fact-Checking", South by Southwest (SXSW), Austin, TX, March 13th, 2017.
- "Tackling Usability Challenges in Querying Massive, Ultra-heterogeneous Graphs", North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, February 9th, 2016.
- "ClaimBuster: The Quest to Automate Fact-Checking", Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, February 8th, 2016.
- "ClaimBuster: The Quest to Automate Fact-Checking", Arlington Technology Association, Arlington, TX, December 2nd, 2015.
- "Enabling Computational Journalism: Automated Fact-Checking and Story-Finding"
- Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, October 13th, 2015.
- Shandong University, Jinan, China, October 9th, 2015.
- "Data Science for Computational Journalism"
- IEEE Computer Society and Computational Intelligence Society Joint Meeting, Arlington, TX, June 10th, 2015.
- The Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX, April 29th, 2015.
- PyData Dallas 2015, Plano, TX, April 26th, 2015.
- "Crowdsourcing Pareto-Optimal Object Finding by Pairwise Comparisons", Facebook, Menlo Park, CA, July 17th, 2014.
- Panelist, The First International Workshop on Bringing the Value of "Big Data" to Users (Data4U 2014), held in conjunction with VLDB14, Hangzhou, China, September 1st, 2014.
- "Data Analytics for Computational Journalism", invited talk, The 2nd International Workshop on Analytics for Cyber-Physical Systems (ACS-2013), held in conjunction with SDM13, Austin, TX, May 4th, 2013.
- ACM SIGMOD 2017 Most Reproducible Paper Award
- UT-Arlington Faculty Development Leave ("sabbatical"), Fall 2015
- VLDB 2014 Excellent Demonstration Award
- 2012 HP Labs Innovation Research Award
- 2011 HP Labs Innovation Research Award
- 3rd place in best Outrageous Ideas and Vision (OIV) Track paper competition in the 5th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR 2011)
- 2005 Excellent TA Award, Department of Computer Science, UIUC
Last Modified: 2017-05-25 Created: 2001-09-18 00:16:21