RESEARCH INTERESTS: My primary research interests are in Big Data Exploration. My research seeks to empower a knowledge worker with the ability to pose high-level analytical queries that help her analyze, search and explore large data repositories in a manner beyond the current capabilities of database systems. This involves research in diverse areas such as databases, data analytics and mining, social computing, hidden web, information retrieval, and algorithms.
Database Exploration Laboratory (DBXLAB): Research projects in data exploration are carried out at the Database Exploration Laboratory at UT-Arlington. We also actively collaborate with numerous other research groups, both internal and external to UT-Arlington. Please see the lab website for further details of these projects.
2. CIKM 2013 Best Student Paper Award
3. IEEE ICDE Influential Paper Award: awarded in 2012 for the ICDE 2002 paper on the DBXplorer system for keyword search in databases
4. VLDB Journal Special Issue on Best of VLDB 2012
5. VLDB Journal Special Issue on Best of VLDB 2007
6. ECML/PKDD 2006 Best Paper Award
7. ACM SIGKDD 1998 Best Paper Runner Up Award
FUNDING: My research has been supported by the following recent grants:
1. Network Analytics via Graph Sampling, AT&T, $120k, PI Gautam Das, 2016-2018. Project funded as part of NSF iPerform I/UCRC Center
2. Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) specializing in Sustainable Computing at UTA, Dept. of Education, $704,385, PI Ishfaq Ahmad, Co-PIs Gautam Das, Leo Fegaras, Ramez Elmasri, Bahram Khalili, Hao Che, Carter Tiernan, 2016-2019
3. Efficient Analytics over Hidden Online Social Networks, ARO, $450,000 PI Gautam Das (UTA), PI Nan Zhang (GWU), 2015-2018
4. Analytics-based Interface Transformation for Web Database, QNRF, $900,000, LPI Ali Jaoua (Qatar U), PI Gautam Das (UTA), PI Nan Zhang (GWU), 2014-2017
5. iPerform - I/UCRC for Assistive Technologies to Enhance Human Performance. NSF IUCRC Phase 1, $517k, PI Fillia Makedon (UTA) and Ovideu Daescu (UTD), Co-PI Gautam Das and others from UTA and UTD, 2014-2019.
6. Privacy-Preserving Framework for Publishing Electronic Healthcare Records, NSF-SCH, $738,928, PI Heng Huang (UTA) Co-PI Gautam Das (UTA), and in collaboration with PIs from UNT Health Science Center and GWU, 2013-2016.
7. Inter-Agency Co-opetition via Hidden Web Databases, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, $150,000, PI Gautam Das (UTA), Co-PI Joydeep Ghosh (UT-Austin), Co-PI Byron Gao (Texas State San Marcos), 2010-2013.
8. EntityEngine: A Query Engine for Entity-Relationship Queries over Web Text, NSF-IIS 1018865, $500,000, PI Chengkai Li (UTA), Co-PI Gautam Das (UTA), 2010-2014.
9. Suppressing Sensitive Aggregates over Hidden Web Databases, a Novel and Urgent Challenge, NSF-IIS 0916277, $481,891, PI Gautam Das (UTA), PI Nan-Zhang (GWU), 2009-2014.
10. Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN), Department of Education, $653,280, PI Ishfaq Ahmad (UTA), Co-PI Gautam Das and others (UTA), 2009-2013.
11. Time Series Subsequence Matching for Content-based Access in Very Large Multimedia Databases, NSF IIS-0812601, $450,000, PI Vassilis Athitsos (UTA), Co-PI Gautam Das (UTA), PI George Kollios (Boston University), 2008-2012.
12. Data Analytics over Hidden Databases, NSF IIS-0845644, $136,000, PI Gautam Das (UTA), Co-PI Nan Zhang (UTA), 2008-2010.
13. Data Exploration Research, Microsoft Research, $225,000, 2005-2014. PI Gautam Das (UTA)
14. Social Networks Mining, Nokia Research, $50,000, 2008-2011. PI Gautam Das (UTA)